Academics with Dev - Post 1: CA Finals Strategy
After replying to so many DMs, here's the system that helped me in CA Finals:
Read it patiently
1. The excel sheet planner - Keep record of everything - It was a game changer
I had planned based on estimates for the whole revision period, counting each revision accurate to hours.
More than a productivity tool it worked as an anxiety and accountability management tool.
I had everything recorded in an excel - chapter wise time taken, which chapter to cover from book or Notebook, efficiency improvements in further revisions, time to be given per chapter in 1.5 days and more
The main objective of this excel was to give me accurate and rational data about where I stand, when you have such data points in hand then nothing really shocks because you see it happening daily whether +ve or -ve
The above excel manages your accountability and pushes you on days on which you don't feel like studying
Ex - I had targeted to complete my 3rd revision by 15 April, now If I skip a day, it becomes 16 April (specifically calculated in the excel) and I'll lose out a day in my 4th revision which can't be extended further
2. Choose your teachers well
I remember opting AFM classes without watching demos and then regretting badly.
Not repeating the same mistake I watched demos for other subjects, revision videos of technical chapters, doubt support etc, which seemed cumbersome at first, but eventually you'll thank yourself later on
For notes, if you find that there's some better notes available in the market, shift to those only if there's a huge difference, otherwise stick to your class notes. Seeing same notes again - first in classes, then in revision videos then in self revisions gives you better grip
3. From the first revision start marking topics/questions and plan to cover the syllabus in less time in next revision and eventually 1.5 days (5 days for FR).
I remember not reading the accounts chapter (just 2 pages) in IDT in 1.5 days before exams, and BOOM, an MCQ came from that and I couldn't recall it. Because these are not some concepts which you have to understand, you have to memorise specific deadlines.
4. Test series - A must; do give atleast 2-3 test series, you'll know what are your areas of improvements, mark them on the above excel and track them.
You can either go for a paid one, or ICAI mocks/PYQ - but still I would recommend getting the theory subject like audit checked from someone else.
5. Number of Revisions - CA Final syllabus is not rocket science, but it's huge. You can only retain it with multiple number of revisions. Target a minimum of 3-5 revisions. Every revision shall be followed by a mock test
That being said, prioritize marks in mock tests over number of revisions, because that's where the quality of revisions shows up
For Audit - I have made a proper strategy for revisions, which I'll be covering separately
It won't be easy to execute but if done well, Audit will be a strength
6. Stay calm and don't get anxious - the most difficult one
It's a long process which runs on discipline instead of motivation
7. Sometimes things might not work in your favour and that's the way it is
Most of the targets I set, used to be delayed by 2-3 days, don't panic. Firstly have sufficient room for errors and then be dynamic and update your next target accordingly. I automated this whole thing in Excel planner, which along with giving a reality check, also showed me how far I have come.
I remember increasing 20 marks in AFM in 2nd mock test as compared to 1st, but also decreasing 10 marks in audit because I was being lazy and overconfident, then you just have to work on it
These are some points which I could recall, but honestly it was much-much more than that
Comments
Post a Comment