Academics with Dev - Post 3: Audit

This strategy will turn Audit into S from W in your SWOT


AUDIT
This subject has been the nightmare of every CA I have ever met.
So, I knew this one's gonna be tough.

I knew the problem
I broke it down

First - I had a concept book of 300 pages which I have to literally cram word by word.

Second - While solving questions, it gets confusing what topic is asked, reading question bank multiple times solves this

So I developed a strategy

Massed Practice + Spaced Revision

Before we start:
1. This strategy gives you structure, it is not meant to be a trick or shortcut
2. It will be very boring
3. It will take a lot of your time, but if executed right you'll thank yourself later

Here we go, read this with the graph attached:


I divided the syllabus into 42 parts that comes to an average of 7 pages a day.

1. 6 days Massed practice:

Start with 1 part per day
The topic you start on Day 1 - revise that on Day 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Also, read the questions of related topic on alternate days of these 6 days

Benefit - it increases short term retention to new highs; and if you were not able to learn on Day 1 - you have 5 more chances.

2. Spaced Revision:

For topic massed practice on Day 1-6

Revise that topic
First after 7 days - Day 13
Then 15 days - Day 28
Then every 30 days - Day 58 and so on.

In every revision also go through questions.

Benefit - It turns the short term retained content to long term retention.

3. Drop this around 1-2 months before exams and do block revision of full syllabus for mock tests

That's it

I put the whole thing into an excel planner and followed it for around 2 months

Benefits:
1. You develop a pictorial memory which help immensely in further revisions, specially in 1.5 days before exam.
2. I executed it around Jan and Feb, and it saved me a lot of time in March and April during full block revisions.
3. There were some confusing MCQs which were challenging in exam, but infact they were just copy paste from qn bank
4. Moving in and out of exam hall with confidence

Challenges:
1. When the 7 days and 15 day set of revision kicks in, it may get extremely tough - on somedays you'll have 60 pages to revise - that is 1/5 of syllabus. It will be a 1-2 week phase which will take 4-5 hours daily.

Other Points:
1. I took classes of Audit (from Shubham Keswani) in the last for fresh retention, and gave class tests along with classes
2. Dropped some chapters
3. In the 6 days massed practice - I used to miss some days and that's ok.
4. This strategy works if you have sufficient time left for exams (4-5m)

Remember that, It's all about being disciplined, even on days when you don't want to.
The above is just a structure, you shall make adjustments or altogether make new one which works for you.

I had attached an illustrative graph of how it works, and how workload loads up
also made some retention graphs and excel planner for the same


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Salzer Electronics Limited - An Energetic Multi-bagger?

IPO Frenzy: A Hidden Leading Indicator?

Middle East Crisis - Oil or something else?